The Italian Prose in Translation Award is given out each year by the American Literary Translators Association at the yearly conference. The award comes with a purse of $5000. This year’s judges are Geoffrey Brock, Peter Constantine, and Sarah Stickney.
The 2018 Italian Prose in Translation Award Shortlist (in alphabetical order by title):
- The Breaking of a Wave by Fabio Genovesi, translated by Will Schutt (Europa Editions)
- Family Lexicon by Natalia Ginzburg, translated by Jenny McPhee (NYRB Classics)
- For Isabel, A Mandala, by Antonio Tabucchi, translated by Elizabeth Harris (Archipelago Books)
- These Possible Lives, by Fleur Jaeggy, translated by Minna Zallman Proctor (New Directions)
- Ties, by Domenico Starnone, translated by Jhumpa Lahiri (Europa Editions)
The winner will be announced at the ALTA conference, which will be held this year from Oct. 31 to Nov. 3 in Bloomington, IN. Hope to see you there. And congratulations to all the shortlisted translators!